Krav Maga Seattle, we are truly thankful for our community. Whether we are training hard on the mats, playing frisbee at the annual summer BBQ, or bonding over drinks and an amazing potluck at the holiday party, we are fortunate to have our welcoming, supportive, hard-hitting community.
As we approach the holiday season, we want to make sure that we also give back to our local community. We are excited to be kicking off our 4th Annual Thanksgiving food drive for the Queen Anne Food Bank! QAFB is our local food assistance program and food bank, located less than a mile from KMS. This year’s goal is to donate 3,000 food and hygiene items (or cash equivalent)!
KMS is proud to be the #1 top contributor to the Queen Anne Food Bank for two years running. Last year, over 130 KMS members donated 2,440 food and hygiene items and $1,850 in cash donations!
In order to encourage the KMS community to donate much-needed food and hygiene items to the QAFB before Thanksgiving day, we’ve provided some incentives:
- For each item donated by Thanksgiving Day, the donor’s name will be entered into a raffle to win a $100 KMS gift card!
- If we hit our goal of 3,000 items donated (or cash equivalent), our Head Instructor Chau, the only Krav Maga Black Belt in the Seattle area, will lead a series of weapons defense and special topic Krav Maga classes open to all members who donated to the food drive! The weapons defense classes will be scheduled between the following dates: 12/17-12/22 and 12/26-12/29.
- If you’ve been wanting to try out KMS, you can get one FREE week of unlimited classes if you donate ten or more of the QAFB's most-needed items to the KMS food drive by 10am on Thanksgiving Day!*
We accept cash donations as well. Please give your cash or check donations to us at the KMS front desk; make checks out to Queen Anne Food Bank. We count each $1.50 donated as one 'item'.
- QAFB’s mission: To provide healthy food assistance to low-income and homeless people in Seattle. The program serves every person that comes to our door in need, without discrimination and with respect and dignity.
- The QAFB provides >2,500 individual sack lunches per month and emergency groceries to >350 neighborhood families every month.
- The QAFB is one of only three food security programs in the city of Seattle which operates both a meal program and a food bank.
If you would like to donate to the KMS food drive for the Queen Anne Food Bank, we have listed below their most needed items. Please make all donations by Thanksgiving Day (11/22)!
Queen Anne Food Bank's Most-Needed Items
- Canned chili
- Canned soup
- Canned meat (chicken, tuna, salmon, sardines, spam, etc.)
- Broth (chicken, beef, vegetable)
- Canned fruit / fruit cups
- Canned vegetables / tomatoes
- Canned beans
- Jam / jelly / preserves (large jars)
- Mayo (large jars)
- Peanut butter
- Nuts / trail mix (small bags)
- Pasta / rice
- Hygiene items (deodorant, razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.)
- Thick socks (men's)
Thank you and happy holidays!