Krav Maga FAQ
- I've never done Krav Maga. Can I try some classes before I sign up?
- What clothing and equipment do I need? (Applies to members only; free trials and one-week trials do not need these items.)
- Do I need to be in shape in order to take Krav Maga or other classes at KMS?
- How do I progress from Krav Maga Level 1 to Level 2 and further?
- What is your policy for putting a membership temporarily on hold?
- I have trained in other martial arts. Do I need to start in the Krav Maga Level 1 class, or can I participate in the advanced classes?
- I have trained in Krav Maga at another school. Can I participate in Krav Maga Level 2 or other advanced classes at KMS?
- Do you offer private classes or semi-private classes?
- What does Krav Maga Seattle offer that other Krav Maga facilities don't?
- What are the age requirements for participating in your classes?
Krav Maga FAQ
I've never done Krav Maga. Can I try some classes before I sign up?
- Of course! We offer a Free Trial Class to anyone who wants to try one of our Krav Maga Level 1 classes or one of our KMS Bag, BagFit or Yoga & Mobility classes. Sign up for your Free Trial Class here! (Pre-registration is required).
- If you want to try out more than one KMS class before you sign up, we invite potential new members to try as many classes as they want for one week for just $25. This offer includes unlimited access to our Krav Maga Level 1 classes as well as our KMS Bag, BagFit and Yoga & Mobility classes. You can purchase your one-week trial at KMS.
What clothing and equipment do I need? (Applies to members only; free trials and one-week trials do not need these items.)
- Level 1:
KMS t-shirt or top (required during class)
Hand-wraps or grappling gloves
Groin protection (mandatory for men; optional, but recommended for women).
Indoor cross-training shoes. We ask that you please do not wear outdoor shoes on the mats.
- Level 2:
All equipment required for Level 1
Boxing gloves (12 oz., 14 oz. or 16 oz.)
KMS Bag & BagFit
- Indoor cross-training shoes
- Boxing gloves (12 oz., 14 oz. or 16 oz.)
KMS Intro to Fight
- All equipment required for Level 2
- Head gear with chin and cheek protection
KMS Yoga & Mobility
- No special equipment required; just wear what you would normally wear for a yoga class.
Footwear (applies to all KMS classes)
- We recommend any type of cross-training shoes that allow for pivoting and lateral movement. We ask that you please do not wear outdoor shoes on the mats.
Do I need to be in shape in order to take Krav Maga or other classes at KMS?
No! Our instructors will push you hard in class, but members can go at their own pace, and instructors will provide modifications to exercises so that everyone can participate at their own fitness level. Our classes can be modified for all fitness levels. This means that a new member and a veteran member can take the same class and both will be challenged by the workout and techniques. You do not need to get in shape before coming to KMS; just show up, and we'll get you to where you want to be.
How do I progress from Krav Maga Level 1 to Level 2 and further?
Assuming that you are consistently attending Krav Maga Level 1 classes 3 times per week, you should be ready to pass your Level 1 test in approximately 6 to 9 months. The approximate times for passing into higher levels are listed below. Please note that members progress through the curriculum at varying speeds.
- Level 1 Test (for entry into Level 2) – 6-9 months
- Level 2 Test (for entry into Level 3) – 9-12 months
- Level 3 Test (for entry into Level 4) – >12 months
- Level 4 Test (for entry into Level 5) – >12 months
What is your policy for putting a membership temporarily on hold?
12-month memberships can be placed on hold two times during the 12-month membership period. There is no fee for putting a membership on hold. Holds can be a minimum of 14 days up to a maximum of 30 days in duration (two times only during an annual membership). In order to put your membership on hold, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I have trained in other martial arts. Do I need to start in the Krav Maga Level 1 class, or can I participate in the advanced classes?
All members who are new to Krav Maga should start out in our Level 1 classes, regardless of previous experience. Krav Maga is a self defense and fighting system; it is not a sport or a martial art. As a result, the Krav Maga training system is inherently different from traditional and sport martial arts. Members who have previous martial arts experience may advance more quickly than other members. We guarantee that you will find our Level 1 classes challenging and fun!
I have trained in Krav Maga at another school. Can I participate in Krav Maga Level 2 or other advanced classes at KMS?
We ask that all members who are new to Krav Maga Seattle train in our Level 1 classes for a minimum of one month. This gives us the opportunity to evaluate your skills and make sure you are equipped to participate in our more advanced classes. We guarantee that you will find our level 1 classes challenging and fun!
Do you offer private classes or semi-private classes?
Yes! We offer private and semi-private personal training sessions. The sessions are customized to you and your goals, so we will focus on whatever aspects of Krav Maga or fitness that best suit your needs. Private classes feature one-on-one training whereas semi-private classes allow you to bring up to five of your friends to create a personalized group experience. Please refer to our Memberships & Fees page for details on pricing.
What does Krav Maga Seattle offer that other Krav Maga facilities don't?
- Our instructors: At KMS, you'll learn from instructors who have over 16 years of combined experience in practicing Krav Maga. Our instructors are Krav Maga Worldwide® certified, which means they have completed multiple rigorous trainings over the years to achieve their instructor certifications. There are other Krav Maga organizations out there, but we believe that Krav Maga Worldwide® is the largest and most widely known for a reason: they're the best. To learn more about what it takes to be a KMS instructor, check out our blog.
- Our programming: KMS not only offers Krav Maga classes, we also offer KMS Bag, BagFit, Fit, Yoga, Combative Striking, Fight and Ground programs, Kettlebell, Open Gym, and more. So you can take advantage of our full range of self-defense and fitness offerings and achieve your goals, whatever they may be.
- Our facility: We thought through every detail in designing and renovating our 6,500 square foot custom Krav Maga and fitness facility. Here are some of the amenities you'll have access to as a KMS member: Brand new shower and change rooms; 14 full size Revgear heavy bags; kettlebells, barbells, dumbbells, battle ropes, plyo boxes, slam balls, medicine balls, and other fitness equipment; a 14-foot long workout rig with stations for pull-ups, dips, squats and more; a dedicated mobility area for stretching and foam-rolling; a KMS Store for purchasing clothing, gear, and snacks; ample on-street parking ($1/hour), free after 6pm.
What are the age requirements for participating in your classes?
You must be 14 years or older to participate in adult classes at KMS. If you are 18 years or under, you need to have a parent or guardian sign your waiver and membership contract.